Digital imaging, software etc- a question

Przemko Tylzanowski przemko at sgi.celgen.kuleuven.ac.be
Wed Nov 18 10:51:45 EST 1998

Hi!
We are about to get a microscope with a digital camera. Altough we
pretty much made up our minds about the microscope, the camera issue
remains unresolved.
What we need is a HIGH quality, publication quality imagery. I am stuck
with the following dilemma. I can get a digital camera but then I don't
have the real time option. That option is EXTREMELY important when one
is focusing the image. If I don't have areal time i have to grab god
know how many frames before I get one that is right.
On the other hand I can get an analog camera but then, of course, the
resolution is not very satisfactory. Especially if I would like to do
some postprocessing like taking a picture but zooming in and publishing
only a part of it. In that case my image will be too ugly to do anything
with it.

Also the software is important. There is anumber of free- and payware
out there. Any suggestions? One thing, it has to be for Windows NT
(sorry, no Macs.)

Any comments are welcome. If I will get any, I promise to summarize and
post it here.

Przemko

przemko at sgi dot celgen dot kuleuven dot ac dot be