experience with DNAsis

Alexander Biela biela at botanik.uni-wuerzburg.de
Wed Nov 18 13:50:02 EST 1998

Manuel van Leusden wrote:
> Hi,
> We want to purchase DNAsis from Hitachi-software (Windows95 version).
> Does anyone have any experience with this program?
> Any restrictions known?
> Is it as good as other software (GCG, Omiga)?
I use DNAsis3.5 for Mac, but I just use the contig manager and the ORF
finder to to get the protin sequence. DNAsis is protected by a hardware
dongle so you can´t use it via your network from another computer. Of
course the programm offers much more features but I use different
programms, e.g clustal for multiple sequence alignments and genedoc to
view and edit these files, TMpred for hydrophobicity plots etc. There
are a lot of free programs around in the internet you can use instead of
DNAsis. Have a look at the expasy server www.expasy.ch or Pedro´s
homepage http://www.public.iastate.edu/~pedro/rt_1.html
We have tested omiga but don´t even think about it. I can´t remember if
the tested version was a beta release but the program was not very
stable and comfortable.
cioa alex

Dipl. Biol. Alexander Biela
Julius von Sachs Institut fuer Biowissenschaften
Lehrstuhl fuer molekulare Pflanzenphysiologie und Biophysik
Julius von Sachs Platz 2
97082 Wuerzburg
Tel +49 931 888 6133
Fax +49 931 888 6158