Call for features in new aligment editor

Andrew Rambaut andrew.rambaut at
Mon Nov 23 13:48:02 EST 1998

I am currently working on a completely new version of my multiple alignment
editor "Se-Al" <>. This is a
Mac only program for compiling, manipulating and editing multiple sequence
alignments. It currently features on the fly translation of protein-coding
DNA (so that you can edit the amino-acid alignment and the underlying
nucleotides will be aligned accordingly). You can drag regions and
copy and paste. Searching for motifs is a bit primative.

Anyway, the new version will have loads of features and be much better
all round. I would love to hear from people about what they would like
to see in such a program (from experiance of using Se-Al or other such
programs). It is primarily written with needs of our group in mind but
I want to make it a useful tool for others.

  Andrew Rambaut,           EMAIL - Andrew.Rambaut at
  Zoology Department,         WWW -
  University of Oxford,
  South Parks Road, Oxford, England