POLL: Are you interested in EndNote for Linux?

Chris Boyd chrisb at hgu.mrc.ac.uk
Fri Oct 2 04:34:04 EST 1998

Patrick (patrick at howard.genetics.utah.edu) wrote:
: > On 30 Sep 1998 14:53:49 -0600, pjf <zinc at zifi.genetics.utah.edu> wrote:
: > >
: > >Hi folks,
: > >
: > >I am taking an informal (obviously) poll to gauge support for a Linux
: > >version of EndNote. I have no affiliation with Niles Software. I am a

: YES!! YES!!  I want EndNote and have written to Niles Software a couple
: of time to ask about it.  I have also written to StarDivision to ask for
: a bibliography app in StarOffice.  BibTeX is fine but it ain't EndNote
: with its tight, clean integration into several different wordprocessor
: programs.  I NEED a good, integratable bibliography program that will
: work with StarOffice (or WordPerfect if I decide to ultimately go that
: route).

For your sake I hope I'm wrong, but frankly I think this is not going
to happen. Linux is a niche operating system and likely to remain so
(despite the hype) and I imagine the subset of _scientific_ Linux users
who want to use a WYSIWYG wordprocessor that needs something like
EndNote for references is vanishingly small. Where's the commercial
incentive for Niles Software? Most scientific Linux users are
compsci/maths/physics types who are quite comfortable with TeX, LaTeX
and BibTeX which have the virtue of being free and stable.
Unfortunately fellow biologists rarely have the inclination to learn
TeX/LaTeX/BibTeX (because they usually prefer not to tackle things that
have any level of abstraction) and are consequently easy prey for
Microsoft.

The easy solution is to have a dual boot system, with a small partition
for Windows/Word/EndNote etc. and a large Linux one for serious
computing. After all, running (eg) WordPerfect on top of Linux is
scarcely different from running it on top of Windows, apart from the
yuk factor. I am a strong advocate for Linux, but the reality is that
most software vendors will aim for the Windows market as long as it has
a stranglehold. Why fight it? Linux is free -- so you can have two
operating systems for the price of one and enjoy the benefits of both.

(For those bionet readers mystified by all this, but interested in
(mostly) free alternative software for PCs, have a look at
http://www.linux.org/ or even
http://www.hgu.mrc.ac.uk/Users/Christopher.Boyd/compinfo.htm)

Best wishes,
--
Chris Boyd                      | from, but not \ MRC Human Genetics Unit,
Christopher.Boyd at hgu.mrc.ac.uk  | on behalf of  /  Western General Hospital,