Time for Moderation in this group?

Tim Cutts timc at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Wed Oct 14 07:41:55 EST 1998

In article <701o5v$3gr at news.u-strasbg.fr>,
Francois Jeanmougin <jeanmougin at igbmc.u-strasbg.fr> wrote:
>In article <see_sig-1410980907500001 at 192.168.0.84>,
>	see_sig at cmtech.co.delete.uk (Richard P. Grant) writes:
>
>> Gets my vote, if it's legal/doable.
>
>	Well, the problem is that a spambot sends a cancel message
>on an existing article. So it won't work for mailing-list users
>(the ones of you that receive bionet by mail instead of using
>a news (NNTP) server).
>
>	So, it could be better to use cleanfeed, a tool that cleans the
>spool before loading it, so that it would work for mailing-list
>users also. I don't know if it is compatible with the way the
>mail2news bionet gateway work.

Also, it increases the volume of NNTP traffic, not decreases it.  This
means:

(a)  People on slow feeds have to spend a very long time downloading
their news, and

(b)  Their news server has to spend a lot of time processing the
cancel messages.

I have seen recent figures suggesting that 40% of NNTP traffic is
spam, and a further 40% is the spam-bot generated cancel messages,
leaving only 20% genuine articles.  For this reason a large number of
spam bot sites have given up.  Moderation is a solution which does not
penalise people on mailing lists and those on low bandwidth sites.

Tim.