Bioinformatics system design project --- request comments

Jerry Learn learn at
Wed Oct 14 23:18:48 EST 1998

In article <evans-1410981829400001 at>, evans at (Mark
Evans) wrote:

> Hello,
> My company is interested in putting together an in-house system that would
> be able to identify quality ORF's from assembled public human EST/GenBank
> data.  One of the main problems, as always, is budget limitations. We
> would like to be able to build such a system from publicly available or
> low cost software. In other words, we want to take something like Unigene,
> clean it up, generate consesi, check for the presence of full length ORF
> and sort full length vs. not yet full length.  What search programs,
> contig assembly programs etc. would work best?
Let me see if I have this straight: you and your company want to
cannibalize someone else's code and you want us to tell you where to look
for it.

Is that right?

Jerry Learn

Research Associate

Health Sci. Ctr., Rm. K443-C      |
Dept. of Microbiology             | Learn at
University of Washington          | Phone: (206) 616-4286
Box 357740                        |   FAX: (206) 616-1575
Seattle, WA  98195-7740  USA      |