Bioinformatics system design project --- request comments

walker at walker at
Thu Oct 15 11:38:55 EST 1998

[posted and mailed]

[evans at writes]
> learn at (Jerry Learn) wrote:
>> Let me see if I have this straight: you and your company want to
>> cannibalize someone else's code and you want us to tell you where to look
>> for it.
> would love to do, by the way). I didn't realize that seeking to use
> software developed with taxpayer money for the genome sequencing project
> for smaller scale projects would be considered "cannibalizing someone
> else's code".

Indeed.  All code developed at the NCBI is public domain.  Anyone can
"cannibalize" it, repackage it, or resell it if they want to.  We think of
this as a good thing.

WRT your original question, I think it is a bit open-ended.  A lot depends
on what you want to do with the data.  For instance, do you need a clean
dataset of excellent ORFs, or do you want to get _all_ the reasonable ORFs
from the ests?

If you explain the purpose and outline the steps, you'll get plenty of
advice, I'm sure.

Roland Walker
walker at
National Center for Biotechnology Information