Mac Screen-capture, was Re: Exporting images of Macaw

Richard P. Grant see_sig at cmtech.co.delete.uk
Wed Oct 28 04:27:14 EST 1998

In article <bpmurray*STUFFER*-2710982124560001 at macmac-2.ucsf.edu>,
bpmurray*STUFFER*@socrates.ucsf.edu (Bernard P. Murray, PhD) wrote:

: In article <learn-2710981936480001 at tench.microbiol.washington.edu>,
: learn at u.washington.edu (Jerry Learn) wrote:
:
: > In article <36361F0B.897C9431 at domain.com>, vv <defaultuser at domain.com>
wrote:
: >
: > >     Does anyone know how could be exported alignments of Macaw ( images)
: > > to a word document? Is there any other freeware programe suitable for
: > > such a work?
: >
: > I assume you are talking about a wintel PC, but if you had a Macintosh you
: > could use the key combination Caps Lock-command-shift-4 to take a snapshot
: > of a window. The snapshot would be in the top level of your startup disk
: > named Picture 1. You could then open it in word. But, if you aren't using
: > a Mac, someone else will have to help.
: >
:
: As a Mac-newbie thanks for pointing this out!  On our machine (OS 8.1)
: the key combination is actually Command-Shift-["top" 3] (where ["top" 3]

Um, I'm not a Mac newbie, having used them for about 7 years, but whereas
I knew about pretzel-shift-3, I'd never seen Caps Lock-pretzel-shift-4,
which lets you snap the portion of the screen you want.

Thanks for the tip, Jerry!

:      Until now I have used the Shareware program, FlashIt, which has
: the advantage that only a portion of the screen need be saved.

See above.

So when did this come into effect?  I'm using 8.0 (UK).

Richard P. Grant MA DPhil     |             rgrant at cmtech.co.uk
Senior R&D Scientist          |             work: www.cmtech.co.uk
Cambridge Molecular           |      home: www.avnet.co.uk/adastra
 -- 'Practising biochemistry without a licence' - E. Chargaff --