AceDB as personal/laboratory management system for vectors and constructs?

Brian Fristensky frist at
Thu Apr 1 15:56:25 EST 1999

Piotr Kozbial wrote:
> Do you think it is a good idea to use AceDB to store information about
> plasmids available in one laboratory? What are the pros and cons? How
> many of you are using AceDB this way? Are there any better solutions for
> UNIX/Linux?
> Thanks
> Piotr
> P.S. Links about AceDB:
> newsgroup (is very quiet)

My lab manages all its plasmids, transgenic plants, constructs, ESTs
etc. using ACeDB. I am quite pleased with ACeDB. I will
say that the critical thing is that at the very beginning of
the process, you put a lot of thought into how you define your objects.
Changing the model for an object is sometimes trivial (eg. if
you want to add an optional tag) but can entail a lot of
work is you modify existing tags.

I have a web site that describes how to create an in-house
ACeDB database, and you can download a sample database. See

Brian Fristensky                |
Department of Plant Science     |  "... the lingering after-winter,
University of Manitoba          |   the gray season, March and April,
Winnipeg, MB R3T 2N2  CANADA    |  the months God created to show
frist at           |  people who don't drink what a
Office phone:   204-474-6085    |  hangover is like."
FAX:            204-474-7528    |            - Garrison Keillor          WOBEGON BOY