nclever and web only methods available for NCBI access?

Jonathan Epstein Jonathan_Epstein at
Fri Apr 2 10:26:52 EST 1999

Consider using Nentrcmd, which is a command line interface to Entrez
which is available as part of the NCBI toolkit:

Once you have built the 'makeall' portion of the toolkit (see the
README), you can build Nentrcmd using:
  make -f makenet.unx Nentrcmd
A few other compiler-related options may be necessary.

Once you have built Nentrcmd for your system, you can get short online
help via:
  Nentrcmd -
or longer help via:
  Nentrcmd -h -p manual

Official help is available from toolbox at, but I may be
able to offer some help as well.  I'm the author of this program, which
was used as the retrieval engine for the original version of WWW Entrez
(c. 1994).

- Jonathan