PSI-Blast

Robert Kingsbury rob at genome.clemson.edu
Wed Apr 28 12:16:05 EST 1999

Arne Mueller wrote:

> They should add a blast
> outputformat that's more machine readable, I mean witch certain fileds
> for certain data. Blast output is/was intended to be readable for
> humans, but I suppose nobody redas a 10MB psi-blast file ... ;-)

I *really* agree with this. When we started to index our blast results
last year, I had to write some pretty ugly parsers (in perl) for the
different types and sorts of output. I am really surprissed that they
have worked as decently as they have because the coding was ... well ..
ugly. =)

It would be really nice for blast to throw out a file that has a
standardized output as well as that pretty file it already does. With
the volume of data that everyone is dealing with nowadays, it would
probably be a really good idea.

Rob

----
Robert Kingsbury III