Linux and bioinformatics questions....

Francois Jeanmougin pingouin at crystal.u-strasbg.fr
Mon Aug 2 07:50:51 EST 1999

In article <37A57241.BAF5EE2B at micromet.de>,
	Thomas Busl <thomas.busl at micromet.de> writes:
> Dear Tim,
> I work with solaris on sparc and I think you are right about SMP
> workstations. You can see that sun has alot of expiriences in that field. I
> think you get solaris2.6 free for intel plattforms.
> so long

	Actually, with big databases, the problem is not Linux vs Solaris
(Because, Linux runs well on a Sparc SMP), but 32 vs 64 bits processors.
And in this field, it could be good to test a Alpha. The "old"
21164PC runs at 533MHz and can handle 128bits bus at 100MHz. For
a low price 64bits calculator, you could consider making a beowulf
linux clusteer of such machines.

						François.