Readseq dll?

Dr. Greg Quinn greg at
Mon Dec 6 03:11:12 EST 1999

Thanks Don and Xuhua for the replies; I seem to remember installing a
scientific freeware program  a while back that included a dll called
readseq; that must have been Xuhua's program. I'll hunt around for an
old copy; that will probably be faster for me than exporting functions
from the readseq source. Thanks again.

Xia Xuhua (xxia at wrote:
: Dr. Greg Quinn <greg at> wrote:
: : I'm writing a little VB app to do some housekeeping for my sequences;
: : does anyone know of a windows dll port of Don Gilberts readseq, to
: : efficiently allow  me to make calls to convert formats? (I'm just
: : interested in the dynamic linked library and not a windows program).
: : Thanks for any help
: : Greg
: The earlier versions of my program DAMBE included a DLL compiled from
: readseq (readseq2.dll) that include functions callable from VB, but I no
: long keep the earlier versions of DAMBE. If you know someone who still runs
: an early version of DAMBE, then you can ask them for the readseq2.dll in
: their windows\system directory and I will tell you how to make calls.
: The new versions of DAMBE includes extensive sequence utilities much beyond
: I have released a new version of DAMBE with many enhancement and a
: comprehensive help system. The software is available from my web site:
: DAMBE is an integrated software package for retrieving, organizing,
: manipulating, aligning, graphically displaying, and analyzing molecular
: sequence data. Many tools for comparative sequences analysis and extensive
: tests of alternative phylogenetic hypotheses have been implemented.
: Although DAMBE is mainly for molecular sequence data, allele frequency
: data can also be used by DAMBE for calculating genetic distances or
: phylogenetic reconstruction.
: DAMBE runs on Windows 95/98/NT (including the MACs that installed the
: virtual PC software).
: Two installation problems have been addressed by Microsoft and I have
: included the links to the Microsoft solutions related to DAMBE
: installation.
: Best.
: Xuhua
: ==================================================================
: Dr. Xuhua Xia                       | Tel: (852) 2857 8239 (lab)
: Dept. Ecol. & Biod.                 | Tel: (852) 2975 5629 (office)
: Rm 603, T.T. Tsui Building          | Fax: (852) 2517 6082
: The University of Hong Kong         | Email: xxia at
: Pukfulam Road                       | WWW:
: Hong Kong                           |

Computational Biology Group
The Burnham Institute
(formerly La Jolla Cancer Research Inst.)
10901 North Torrey Pines road
La Jolla
Phone:(619) 646 3103
Email: greg at