aligned sequences editing software

Edwin ten Dam etd at bigfoot.com
Thu Feb 4 08:04:03 EST 1999

In article <tuinen-ya02408000R0302991654290001 at news.inra.fr>,
tuinen at epoisses.inra.fr (Diederik van Tuinen) wrote:

>I am looking for a software, hopefully shareware and runing on MacOS,
>allowing to edit aligned sequences - adding or removing gaps - after a
>clustalv run.

You might want to give Andrew Rambaut's multiple alignment editor "Se-Al"
<http://evolve.zoo.ox.ac.uk/Se-Al/Se-Al.html> a try. This is a
Mac only program for compiling, manipulating and editing multiple sequence
alignments. It currently features on the fly translation of protein-coding
DNA (so that you can edit the amino-acid alignment and the underlying
nucleotides will be aligned accordingly). You can drag regions and
copy and paste. Searching for motifs is a bit primative. It's under
development at the moment.

Alternatively, ClustalX has some minor editing features:

ftp://ftp.ebi.ac.uk//pub/software/mac/clustalw/clustalx/clustalx1.64b.PPC.sea.Hqx

and is worth a look anyway for its GUI on top of ClustalW.

Seqpup/SeqApp was already mentioned, so I won't go into that.

cheers,

Edwin

Edwin ten Dam                                         etd at bigfoot.com
School of Biomedical Sciences        -       University of St Andrews
Biomolecular Sciences Bldng, North Haugh,  St Andrews, KY16  9ST U.K.
Phone: +44 1334 463404                         - Fax: +44 1334 462595