Programmers for scientific software? - How do I start?

Don Gilbert gilbertd at bio.indiana.edu
Mon Feb 15 13:22:57 EST 1999

This is very good advice from Stephane for bioinformaticians-in-training:

learn some of the problems in the field, learn to build solutions
to them, and publish them freely for others to try and use. This is
how many scientific programmmers have grown and built a reputation.
Many of the commercial programs you and biologists use, practically
the whole field of Internet information systems (WWW, Gopher, eMail,
WAIS), have been developed by folks eager to learn, try new ideas and
freely exchange them.  It does take time, but the cost to you is
only all your spare time :).  One starting point is to look at other
authors' free software source, learn how it works and try changing/improving
it or reusing it in new ways.  Learn where to find interesting
software sources (you can find all of mine and some of others at
http,ftp://iubio.bio.indiana.edu/).

- Don

--
-- d.gilbert--biocomputing--indiana-u--bloomington-in-47405
-- gilbertd at bio.indiana.edu