Programmers for scientific software? - How do I start?

Harry Erwin herwin at
Tue Feb 16 08:16:19 EST 1999

John G. Gilligan <sleepguy at> wrote:

> Hi,
> I would like to know if anyone can give me any hints as to how to break into
> the field of computer programming for scientific software?

My son is in the same bind.  In the Washington DC area, you need a
masters for an entry-level job in this area.

Harry Erwin, Web Page:
Senior Software Analyst supporting the FAA, PhD candidate in
computational neuroscience--modeling how bats echolocate--and
lecturer for CS 211 (data structures and advanced C++).