Bernard P. Murray, PhD bpmurray*STUFFER* at
Wed Feb 17 18:53:46 EST 1999

In article <bpmurray*STUFFER*-1702991403000001 at>,
bpmurray*STUFFER* (Bernard P. Murray, PhD) wrote:

> In article <7aejmp$rfq$1 at>, "jayakumar"
> <jakku at> wrote:
> > HI
> >     I need to know where I can get some utility for splitting a large text
> > file into easily manageable files.  But the splitting should occur when ever
> > a particular word or parameter occurs in the target file. Actually, I want
> > to split a large file containing searched abstracts from CCOD database, into
> > individual abstract files. So the utility must split the file whenever it
> > encounters a word like "title" or a large space etc.  Can you help me in
> > this matter.   I would be very grateful for this help.
> >     thanks in advance
> > sincerely
> > jayakumar
> I believe the unix command csplit(1) is intended for this
> purpose.
>           Bernard

Just thought that I'd add that if you are a PC user
you can use the DJGPP version of GNU csplit.  The csplit
program is present in  Check out the
sublime DJGPP at;

(don't forget that trailing slash)

Bernard P. Murray, PhD