PC sequence alignment program

Francois Jeanmougin pingouin at crystal.u-strasbg.fr
Thu Feb 25 10:37:33 EST 1999

In article <sc4btiih5ko.fsf at fes6.sanger.ac.uk>,
	Keith James <kdj at fes6.sanger.ac.uk> writes:

> I think I phrased my reply badly. I didn't intend to suggest that
> Clustal be used for assembly! I assumed that the original poster had a
> reason aligning DNA (and not translating it first) e.g. sequencing a
> region of the same gene from many mutants with the same primer and
> wanting a representation of the different base changes observed. There
> are so many features in ClustalX these days that I would not have been
> surprised if it could do something unusual like that.

	Ho yes, if your pieces of DNA are about the same length, the quality
	tool or the colouring scheme would help finding errors in a family of
	PCR products, sure. I don't know if this is the better way to do it, but
	it could...

	hmmmm. I'm waiting for (Staden + Emboss + Clustal). If everything goes
well, those 3 will become one of the better complete solution for
biologists...

						François.

--
François Jeanmougin     | groupe de bioinformatique / bioinformatics groupe
tel:(+33) 3 88 65 32 71 | IGBMC BP 163 67404 Illkirch France