Questions on build Genbank files for Blast search

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at
Fri Feb 26 04:56:37 EST 1999

In article <7aummr$jqn$1 at>,
 gmei at writes:
> We are planning to build a local copy of Genbank database to do Blast search
> in house on an Alpha Digital Unix machine. We do not have GCG package and are
> not planning to buy it (at least for now).

We do the same and on the same machine/system.
See <> on
how to use it remotely and what banks do we have.

> A. 1. Download Blast executable from NCBI and configure it 2. Download the
> "*.seq.Z" files from NCBI ( 3. Uncompress
> them 4. Run some program (?) to convert file format to a GanBank file in
> Blast format 5. Run Blast 6. Download Genbank updates periodically and run
> some program (?) to "append" the update file to Genbank file.

We have developed in-house programs to do so. It is quite
complicated because you do not want the update to mess with the
current searches. AdvFs is useful there.

Ask Nicolas Joly <njoly at>. I'm not sure about the legal
terms to distribute these programs. I'm fairly certain that the technical
terms are "It work for us, that's all we know".

"Best viewed with any browser"