BLAST 2.0 executables for Linux libc5 systems

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at pasteur.fr
Mon Jan 4 06:19:03 EST 1999

In article <slrn78i7s4.mjb.aiyar at ebv.oncology.wisc.edu>,
 aiyar at ebv.oncology.wisc.edu (Ashok Aiyar) writes:
> For users Linux libc5 systems who need to perform BLAST searches of
> locally indexed databases, I have made BLAST 2.0 libc5 executables
> available for download from "http://ebv.oncology.wisc.edu/~aiyar"

And for libc6 users (who are probably the vast majority), a Debian
package of Blast is available:

http://www.debian.org/Packages/unstable/misc/blast2.html

It is dynamically linked so users of other NCBI-tools programs
can share the huge code of the NCBI libraries.

I prefer the package approach since it allows esay installation and
removal, and consistency (all the documentation in /usr/doc, etc).

For information about Debian, see:
http://www.debian.org/

Users of other libc6 distribution (mostly RedHat) can use the "alien"
program to install Debian packages:
http://kitenet.net/programs/alien/

See more biology packages in:
http://www.pasteur.fr/units/sis/debian/biology-en.html