How to find (imperfect) repeats in DNA sequences ?

Ashok Aiyar aiyar at
Tue Jan 19 22:39:11 EST 1999

On Fri, 15 Jan 1999 16:30:08 GMT,
    Georg Lipps (Georg.Lipps at wrote:
>Hello everybody,
>I have a 5kb DNA sequence and would like to analyze the direct and
>inverted repeats on it. Is there a computer programme or a Webservice
>available to perform this task ?

You can find direct repeats using a program such as Erik Sonnhammer's
Dotter (

For inverted repeats, you can use Michael Zuker's DNA mfold server
available on the web at
If you have MFOLD-2.3 installed on your computer, you could also use
it with NA set to DNA.

Another fast alternative to identifying inverted repeats (or any other
patern) is Ross Overbeek's "scan_for_matches".  Available from:

Finally, if you have inverted repeats of defined sequence, you could
use Harry Mangalam's tacg2 program.  Available from:

Ashok Aiyar, Ph.D.
McArdle Laboratory for Cancer Research