DNA-GUI on Linux - how to compile?

Piotr Kozbial piotrk at ibb.waw.pl
Fri Jan 22 11:42:38 EST 1999

Piotr Kozbial wrote:

>>DNA/GUI is an interactive software system for rapid and efficient analysis of >>images of the types used in genome mapping, such as autoradiograms and >>electrophoretic gels.
>
> I ma relatively inexperienced  Linux user and have problems with
> DNA-GUI. The problem is that version compiled for Linux (from:
> ftp://ftp.rhrz.uni-bonn.de/pub/institute/meb/molbio/linux/) is not
> working with libjpg.so.6 ("dui: Can't load library 'libjpg.so.5' ").
> I linked "/usr/X11R6/lib/libjpg.so.6.0.1" as "libjpg.so.5" but it didn't
> solve the problem.

I did not mentioned that the error message for this problem it is:
----------
  piotrk at pc:/dna-gui-linux > dui

  :0.0
  DISPLAY =
  XAPPLRESDIR =
  White Pixel = 65535
  Black Pixel = 0
  The X server from XFree86 Project, Inc
     at release 3323, protocol 11.0
  Display deph = 16
  # Cells = 64
  Screen 0 size is 800 by 600 pixels.

  curate = 0 deph = 16 cells =  64
  X Error of failed request: BadValue (integer parameter out of range
for operation)
  Major opcode of failed request: 86 (X_AllocColorCells)
  Value in failed request: 0x0
  Serial number of failed request: 146
------------
I installed xaw3dd.rpm to "upgrade" the libXaw.so.6 but it did not help
(dui crushes with the same error message).

> The second problem is that I am unable to compile the software myself as
> compilation ends with error message:
>
>   "pc:/dna-gui-linux # ./sui.sh
>   Main Imakefile file exists
>   ---------------------------------
>   Buildind Makefile from Imakefiles
>   ---------------------------------
>   mv -f Makefile Makefile.bak
>   imake -DUseInstalled -I/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config
>   Imakefile.c:13 Imake.tmpl: No such file of directory
>   imake: Exit code 33.
>    Stop.
>   --------
>   Clean-up
>   --------
>   make: *** No rule to make target 'clean'. Stop
>   -----------------
>   Make dependencies
>   -----------------
>   make: *** No rule to make target 'depend'. Stop.
>   Create objects, libraries, and executable
>   make: *** No targets.   Stop
>   ------------------------------------------
>   Make process complete; executable is "dui"
>   ------------------------------------------
>

> The following fragment is repeated 12 times -
>   mv -f Makefile Makefile.bak
>   imake -DUseInstalled -I/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config
>   Imakefile.c:13 Imake.tmpl: No such file of directory
>   imake: Exit code 33.
>     Stop.

I have installed xdevel.rpm (needed for compilation of X-windows
programs) and it is now compiling. Unfortunately there are hundreds of
errors during compilation and the freshly compiled executable is
crushing with exactly the same error message as the old one.

If you can help or just ensure me that it is possible to use DNA-GUI on
Linux please respond.

 Thanks in advance.
 Piotr Kozbial