DNA-GUI on Linux - how to compile?

Alan Williams Alan at Avocado.UCR.edu
Mon Jan 25 18:51:38 EST 1999

I believe the problem is that your X server is running with a color depth of
16 while the application (DNAGUI) only supports X servers with a color
depth of 8.  I have had simmilar problems with other old xview apps.

-Alan

Piotr Kozbial <piotrk at ibb.waw.pl> wrote:
: Piotr Kozbial wrote:
: I did not mentioned that the error message for this problem it is:
: ----------
:   piotrk at pc:/dna-gui-linux > dui
:   :0.0
:   DISPLAY =
:   XAPPLRESDIR =
:   White Pixel = 65535
:   Black Pixel = 0
:   The X server from XFree86 Project, Inc
:      at release 3323, protocol 11.0
:   Display deph = 16
:   # Cells = 64
:   Screen 0 size is 800 by 600 pixels.

:   curate = 0 deph = 16 cells =  64
:   X Error of failed request: BadValue (integer parameter out of range
: for operation)
:   Major opcode of failed request: 86 (X_AllocColorCells)
:   Value in failed request: 0x0
:   Serial number of failed request: 146
:   Current serial number in output stream: 146
Alan Williams           (finger alan at avocado.ucr.edu for pgp public key)
University of California, Riverside   "Where observation is concerned,
Dept. of Botany and Plant Sciences     chance favors the prepared mind."
Alan at Avocado.UCR.edu                               -- Louis Pasteur