DNASTAR on Macintosh, system 8.6

Doug Eernisse DEernisse at fullerton.edu
Sun Jul 25 20:20:09 EST 1999

In article <3798B341.B7ADE52A at mail.cmmt.ubc.ca>, Scott Givan
<sgivan at mail.cmmt.ubc.ca> wrote:

> "Frank O. Fackelmayer" wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > I´ve been using the DNASTAR package for some time now without
> > difficulties. However, since I upgraded the operating system from 7.6 to
> > 8.6 three weeks ago, I reproducibly get a system crash when using the
> > "OPEN" or "SAVE" commands (in all modules). Re-installing from the
> > original CD-ROM did not help, and the programs run normally when I boot
> > my computer from a system 7.6 CD-ROM. Thus, there appears to be some
> > incompatibility between DNASTAR and system 8.6, at least on my computer.
> > Has anyone else encounterd similar problems? Please also let me know if,
> > on your computer, DNASTAR and system 8.6 run well (so the problem could
> > be in my system configuration...).
> >
> > Frank
> Frank,
> I've found that most of the times in situations like this that one or more
> system extensions is/are the cause of the problem.  Have you tried using
> DNASTAR after you have started your Mac with the extensions turned off
> (hold the SHIFT key down during startup)?  If DNASTAR works normally with
> the extensions off, you can start turning on extensions to see which one is
> causing the problem.  You could also turn on groups of extensions (ie, base
> 8.6 extensions, which is an option in the Extensions Manager) to more
> rapidly find the troublesome extension.  If you find the culprit, you would
> at least know where the problem lies.  Possibly the extension isn't useful
> to you and it could be turned off.
> scott

You might first try turning off the newer feature, "System Wide Platinum
Appearance" in the "Appearance" control panel. I have heard that
System 8.0 (or 8.1?) broke some older programs that didn't like their
dialog buttons replaced by the newer System in this way, but I
don't really have much direct experience with this problem. Both
"Open" and "Save" might involve such problems if they use custom

Good luck.

Doug Eernisse
Department of Biological Science
California State University