Linux and bioinformatics questions....

Dr. Greg Quinn greg at
Fri Jul 30 17:19:23 EST 1999

I will shortly be buying a high end multiprocessor pentium box to
perform database searches; I am by no means convinced that Linux is
the best operating system for high load activity, and have heard
better things about FreeBSD than I have about linux in real-life
high-use situations. As far as I can see though, Linux rules
in the sense that there are far more supported packages in a molecular
biology context.

Can somone convince me that Linux must be the way to go for a UNIX
PC box? Thanks for any advice.

Computational Biology Group
The Burnham Institute
(formerly La Jolla Cancer Research Inst.)
10901 North Torrey Pines road
La Jolla
Phone:(619) 646 3103
Email: greg at