Help with searching an oligonucleotide database

Ashok Aiyar aiyar at ebv.oncology.wisc.edu
Thu Jun 10 21:15:10 EST 1999

Hello:

I have a large number of oligonucleotide sequences available as
as fasta format database.  These oligos range in length from 15
nucleotides to about 100 nucleotides.

I would like to search a larger sequence (3 - 5 kb) against this
database -- so that I can identify all the oligos that lie in the
large sequence, and use them as PCR primers or whatever.

What publically available programs are suitable for this search?
I have tried using Bill Pearson's fasta or ssearch programs, but
they appear unsuitable (or I don't know what command line parameters
to pass).  Fasta/ssearch find both perfect and imperfect matches,
while I would like to find perfect matches over the entire length
of the oligonucleotide.

Thanks,
Ashok
--