MolBio OS?

Keith James kdj at fes6.sanger.ac.uk
Wed Mar 3 12:53:46 EST 1999

    Justin> Our lab is planning to obtain a new computer for doing
    Justin> bioinformatics work, currently we use our own macs and
    Justin> unix boxes belonging to the department.  We do mainly
    Justin> homology searches, protein motif searches, function
    Justin> prediction and possibly some structural prediction.  It
    Justin> seems to me that the main determinant in our decision is
    Justin> is there any software which we are likely to want to use
    Justin> in future which needs a unix box to run on, or is
    Justin> everything available over the web these days?

I'm going to refrain from making any OS recommendations in this thread
as the pros and cons have been summed up pretty well
already. (*nix.. oops, I couldn't help myself).

Given the same task two people may approach it with very different
tools and achieve the same result. One may like to point and click,
while the other will do the same analysis by shoving the data through
a shell script, and never the 'twain shall meet etc. All the better if
you can provide for both. It's relatively easy to recreate a foreign
GUI style on Linux, but a thankless task trying to recreate Unix
scripting on NT or a Mac.

grepping yesterday's release of the EBI Biocatalog (combined open
source, *ware & commercial) for OS support:

Unix/Sun 234,   Win 64,   Mac 60,   DOS 59,   VAX 41

The disadvantage of relying heavily on web-based services are the
obvious ones; services may come and go, slow responses, inefficient
data input through browers.

--

Keith James  --  kdj at sanger.ac.uk  --  http://www.sanger.ac.uk/Users/kdj
The Sanger Centre, Wellcome Trust Genome Campus, Hinxton, Cambs CB10 1SA