protein sequence generation

Andy Phillips andy.phillips at bbsrc.ac.uk
Thu Mar 25 12:14:59 EST 1999

Cornelius Krasel wrote:

> Peter Hufnagel <p_hufnagel at YAHOO.COM> wrote:
> > I am looking for a program to generate all possible
> > amino acid sequences that mach a given molecular weight
> > pluminus a certain tolerance.
>
> Dependent on your given molecular weight, you might create an
> incredible amount of data. Be aware that for a protein with n
> residues there are approximately n! different sequences (somewhat
> less because of repetitions).

Err..shouldn't that be 20^n (20 to the nth power) different sequences??
Rather fewer different mol weights because the order isn't important?

 Email : andy.phillips at bbsrc.ac.uk  : University of Bristol
 Phone : +44-1275-549257            : IACR Long Ashton Research Station
 Fax   : +44-1275-394281            : Long Ashton, Bristol, BS18 9AF, UK
 WWW   : http://www.lars.bbsrc.ac.uk/plantsci/molbiol/molbiol.html