LINUX/standalone blast question

Bernard Murray, PhD spam at
Wed Nov 3 18:05:18 EST 1999

In article <epgk8nzpz4u.fsf at>, Dyre Tjeldvoll
<dyret at> wrote:

> Many programs have a .programrc file, and I think (!) the rc stands
> for resource, and these files are typically for saving settings.

Actually I believe that the "rc" stands/used to stand for
"run control".

I am showing my age here.  I remember when the "ESC" key used
to stand for "Extended System Command" but there's no way you'll
be able to convince newcomers that it isn't "ESCape".

Bernard P. Murray, PhD
bpmurray at cgl . ucsf . edu
Department of Cellular & Molecular Pharmacology, UCSF