SRS databases

Peter Rice pmr at sanger.ac.uk
Tue Nov 23 14:01:35 EST 1999

david at barrass1.@no.spam.ta (David Barrass) writes:

> Sorry if this isn't the correct newsgroup but this is the closest I
> can find to a Bioinformatics group on the web.  If anyone knows of a
> more relevant NG please advise

bionet.software.srs but this is close enough :-)

> Does anyone know if there is a single web page that lists all the SRS
> databases with a brief description of what information they contain?

The EBI maintains a "databank of databanks" for SRS 5.1
linked to the list of worldwide servers.

http://srs.ebi.ac.uk/srs5list.html

This does have the information you need, though the descriptions
are quite long (the full .it file)

For the Sanger Centre server, I have generated a full alphabetical
order list at:

http://www.sanger.ac.uk/srs5/databases.shtml

Please let me know if you find it useful. The descriptions are just a
first quick attempt to classify everything and could no doubt be
improved.

Peter Rice                | Informatics Division, The Sanger Centre,
E-mail: pmr at sanger.ac.uk  | Wellcome Trust Genome Campus,
Tel: (44) 1223 494967     | Hinxton, Cambridge, CB10 1SA, England
Fax: (44) 1223 494919     | URL: http://www.sanger.ac.uk/Users/pmr/