automating mac->UNIX ABI data

mathog at seqaxp.bio.caltech.edu mathog at seqaxp.bio.caltech.edu
Fri Oct 15 10:31:39 EST 1999

In article <7u5is5$a65$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>, gmei at my-deja.com writes:
>A related question: We also have several ABI 3700s and they are on NT
>platform. We are using "SAMBA" to do the file transfer and we have found
>that we frequently get "network" errors and the transfer would stop in
>the middle of the process. We have tried SAMBA client and SAMBA daemon,
>we also tried different SAMBA configuration settings. But the problem
>still exists. Does anyone have any suggestion?

A couple of months ago I copied the full PDB database onto an NT machine
then used smbclient on a Linux box to pull all of those >10000 files
over from the NT machine.  There were about 5 files that came across
corrupted. (They were all .gz, and these would not unpack, but grab them
again with smbclient, and they were fine.) This may be similar to your
"network" error problem. However, in over a year of using SAMBA to serve
files to a half dozen PCs we've never seen a jam or an obvious file
corruption.  So in our hands, smbclient does fail once and a while, but no
obvious problems with the Samba server function.

Samba is perpetually a work in progress, it could be that the version
you have loaded has some bug, so try installing a newer version.

It's also possible that the network connecting the two machines is not
working properly.  It would probably be a good idea to have your network
people verify that it isn't dropping packets or suffering any of the other
typical network maladies.

Regards,

David Mathog
mathog at seqaxp.bio.caltech.edu