automating mac->UNIX ABI data

Jim Phelps phelpsj_stuff at spam_stuff.bcc.orst.edu
Fri Oct 15 11:20:20 EST 1999

> On Wed, Oct 13, 1999 at 08:43:46PM -0700, Chris Botka wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am novice on this particular subject, so if this is a silly
> > question, apologies in advance.
> >
> > I have been asked by some folks who use our resource about
> > automating uploads of ABI (377) base calls and raw sequence data to
> > a UNIX host.
> >
> > I figure *someone* must have some scripts etc. to do this.  Issues
> > are: automation on the mac side (Applescript MacPerl?), naming
> > conventions, and compression??...
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Chris

We use the TAS package from Syntax along with Applescript.  Using
Applescript we:
1)  pull the data from the analysis computers to a Mac Server,
2)  build and burn two CD-Roms of the data (one for archive, one for check-out),
3)  Mount the UNIX server (using TAS),
4)  Push the data to the UNIX server,
5)  Check that everything went okay,
6)  Delete all the old files that are now on CD and the UNIX box.

TAS lets you mount the UNIX home directories on the desktop.  It handles
all of the file conversion issues.  The ABI trace files, which are binary,
go over just fine and we can open them in Staden, GCG, as well as from the
Mac.

Since the data passes through a Mac server on the way, the files are also
distributed by LAN (NT, 95, 98, Mac connection directly to the server) or
by Web.

Best of luck,

Jim Phelps

--
Director                            /  Computer Support & Planning
Biological Computing Consortium    /                       C.G.R.B.