Bioinformatics discussions

Bastien Chevreux chevreux at
Wed Oct 20 04:39:46 EST 1999

On Wed, 13 Oct 1999 10:14:25 -0500,
 Charles A. Alexander <charles.alexander at> wrote:
>These newsgroups used to be a really fruitful place for discussions on
>issues related to GCG and other kinds of bioinformatics software.  With the
>insane amount of spam here lately that function seems to have ceased.

Using a good newsreader which is able to kill articles on subject,
originators adress etc. is quite a help. I'd recommend "slrn" as
newsreader, so that when using this entry

    Score:: -9999
          Subject: \<MONEY\>
          Subject: \<FREE\>

in the coressponding score file (kill everything in with
subject containing MONEY or FREE), a great amount of spam simply vanishes.

Of course this does not adress the underlying problem of spam.

   Dipl.-Inform. Med. Bastien Chevreux  --  b.chevreux at
 Deutsches Krebsforschungszentrum Heidelberg -- Abteilung Molekulare Biophysik
    Im Neuenheimer Feld 280 -- 69120 Heidelberg -- Phone: +49 6221 42 2336
    -It's mine.  =Nope, it's my one.   *CRASH*   =Alright. It WAS yours.