EMBOSS First Beta Release

Peter Rice pmr at sanger.ac.uk
Thu Sep 9 08:12:06 EST 1999

After many months of work in Hinxton (at the Sanger Centre and HGMP),
we are able to announce that EMBOSS is ready for beta testing by
users. To date there are around 80 applications in the package.

We would like your comments on the current package and on any
improvements you would like to suggest. We will use your comments to
set priorities for further development.

EMBOSS is still in a beta state so you can expect bugs, but we will
fix them as quickly as possible. A new distribution is built each
night from our CVS master copy, and is available from

      ftp://ftp.sanger.ac.uk/pub/EMBOSS/

There is a script in the distribution that should be able to build
everything automatically for the core distribution. Just follow these
simple steps:

pick up file EMBOSS-0.0.4.tar.gz

gunzip EMBOSS-0.0.4.tar.gz
tar xvf EMBOSS-0.0.4.tar
cd EMBOSS-0.0.4/
csh ./make-all-static

If you have any problems with the build please contact the new EMBOSS
support list emboss-bug at sanger.ac.uk

We will continue to add library functions, applications and
documentation. There is a weekly project meeting in Hinxton to discuss
progress, with the minutes available on the EMBOSS Web pages.

Useful URLs are:

Home page       http://www.sanger.ac.uk/Software/EMBOSS/
Weekly meetings http://www.sanger.ac.uk/Software/EMBOSS/Meetings/
Applications    http://www.sanger.ac.uk/Software/EMBOSS/Apps/
Documentation   http://www.sanger.ac.uk/Software/EMBOSS/Doc/
ACD files       http://www.sanger.ac.uk/Software/EMBOSS/Acd/

The source code documentation is also indexed on the Sanger Centre
SRS server as databases "EFUNC" for functions and "EDATA" for data
types.

Peter Rice                | Informatics Division, The Sanger Centre,
E-mail: pmr at sanger.ac.uk  | Wellcome Trust Genome Campus,
Tel: (44) 1223 494967     | Hinxton, Cambridge, CB10 1SA, England
Fax: (44) 1223 494919     | URL: http://www.sanger.ac.uk/Users/pmr/