Linux and bioinformatics questions....

Piotr Kozbial piotrk at
Fri Sep 17 09:09:48 EST 1999

Tim Cutts wrote:
> In article <9909170453.AA00814 at russell.cgl.ucsf.EDU>,
> Chris Botka <botka at CGL.UCSF.EDU> wrote:
> >I am glad to provide benchmarks if anyone is interested for
> >BLAST/FASTA for the following platforms.
> >
> >2100 2X275MHz/256MB
> >4100 4X533MHz/1GB
> >ES40 4X500MHz/2GB
> >
> >There are some other benchmarks at
> Does BLAST work OK with 64-bit files (i.e. >2.1 GB)?  Which versions
> (presumably not 1.4)
"a formatting problem with the database summary at the beginning of the
BLAST output (if multiple databases totaling over 2 Gig) has been

On 32bit architectures (i.e. all Intel processors but Merced) Linux
cannot handle files that are longer than 2.1GB. On a 64bit machine like
the Alpha there is no such limit.