Linux and bioinformatics questions....

Piotr Kozbial piotrk at ibb.waw.pl
Fri Sep 17 09:09:48 EST 1999

---------
From: ftp://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/blast/executables/README
"a formatting problem with the database summary at the beginning of the
BLAST output (if multiple databases totaling over 2 Gig) has been
fixed."

On 32bit architectures (i.e. all Intel processors but Merced) Linux
cannot handle files that are longer than 2.1GB. On a 64bit machine like
the Alpha there is no such limit.