C++ gui development

Don Gilbert gilbertd at bio.indiana.edu
Tue Sep 21 19:01:46 EST 1999

I did this for several years, wrapping a C++ gui/app framework
around NCBI's free multi-platform Vibrant C toolkit.  At the
time there were no good free cross-platform app frameworks.
This may have changed.   I switched to Java about 3 years back.
Why?  I was spending all my time fighting platform-specific
bugs with C++.  If you want to write applications with a graphic interface
using freely available and redistributable source code, I'd
strongly recommend Java over C++.  You can always put in a little
extra work and write some time-critical methods in C++ and attach
them to your Java app as native-code methods.

If you want to look at my C++ app framework (no longer in
development) using the NCBI toolkit as its base, see
  ftp://iubio.bio.indiana.edu/util/dclap/source/
and
  ftp://iubio.bio.indiana.edu/molbio/seqpup/c++/
for the main application (biosequence analysis) written with
this framework.

Also, I'm revising the Java successor to this biosequence analysis
program.  The source code is also freely available for this.
See ftp://iubio.bio.indiana.edu/molbio/java/source/ The main
source file for this is dclapjava-src.zip, due to be updated in
a few week.  See molbio/java/apps/ for the programs written with
this.

- Don

PPS, I'd say MacOS and MSWindows are the two major (most used
by biologists, about 50% each by web logs) OS's if you want to
reach a wide range of biologists.  Linux is useful, but still not
used much by working biologists.

--
-- d.gilbert--bioinformatics--indiana-u--bloomington-in-47405
-- gilbertd at bio.indiana.edu