sequence trace files format problem

Paula Burch pburch at condor.bcm.tmc.edu
Thu Sep 23 15:36:09 EST 1999

The sequencing core provides traces to users of various computer
systems, Mac, Unix, or MS Windows. We have installed a java
traceviewer that works great in Netscape on the Unix or PC side,
but fails to work in either Netscape or Internet Explorer on the Mac.
The easy answer would be to just give our Mac users their own trace
viewing program, such as the free one from Perkins Elmer.

The problem is that trace files moved to the sequence repository
machine from the sequencing Mac can be used only by a Mac, not by
Unix, if tranferred as a Mac binary. If the trace files are moved as
'raw data', they work great in the java trace viewing program, but
are utterly unusable on a Mac.

How can I make 'raw data' trace files work on a Mac? I was told
something I didn't understand about a missing 'resource fork' that
the Mac needs. I generally stick to Unix and am mystified. Is
there any way to fake the resource fork, or any other way to make one
transfer format work for all three of the more popular computer
platforms, Mac, Unix, and PC?

We cannot ask the sequencing core personnel to transfer the trace
files to some labs in Mac binary format and to other labs in 'Raw
Data' format.

Thanks for any help you can provide....

Paula E. Burch, Ph.D.             Molecular Biology Computation Resource
Baylor College of Medicine, BCMM M220                voice: 713.798.6023
One Baylor Plaza, Houston, Texas 77030                 fax: 713.798.4279
http://mbcr.bcm.tmc.edu/pburch.html            email: pburch at bcm.tmc.edu