C++ gui development

Dan Brown dbrown at bruxton.com
Mon Sep 27 20:52:58 EST 1999

Malay wrote:

> I understand the temptation to use JAVA, particularly after the
> introduction of SWING classes. But is it not pity that the developers in as
> powerful language like C++ never thought of writing cross-platform
> libraries? I think if this trend continues, C++ will lose most of its
> ardent followers like me to other language like JAVA.

We never found cross-platform libraries for C++ to be very useful. The
problem is that they could not keep up with user interface changes from
Microsoft. I believe that this is due to a lack of market: C++
developers want a C++ class library for use when writing GUI
applications, and Microsoft provides MFC at no cost with Visual C++.
This reduces the market for third-party class libraries for GUI
development sufficiently that the suppliers have a hard time surviving.

In the case of Java the situation is different, because the class
library provided with Java for GUI development is inherently
cross-platform. Therefore it is easier to build a cross-platform
application in Java.

Microsoft Visual J++ provides Java classes specific to Microsoft Windows
(I believe called WFC), in which case your program runs only under
Microsoft Windows. However, from what I can see, the other Java compiler
suppliers are successful enough to keep WFC from becoming the standard
way to write Windows applications in Java.

-- Dan

--
Dan Brown
Bruxton Corporation