celera's computers.

David Mathog mathog at seqaxp.bio.caltech.edu
Tue Aug 29 15:03:12 EST 2000

In article <Pine.LNX.4.10.10008290043040.1514-100000 at morpheus.laserlink.net>, Mike Palamara <mike at laserlink.net> writes:
>I'm a unix engineer and I was wondering if anyone knows what type of
>computer systems the company celera is using to crack the human genome.

By "crack" I'll assume you mean "assemble".  They used a large number of
of Alphas running Tru64.  See for instance:

  http://www.celera.com/corporate/about/press_releases/celera062600_1.html

which says in part:

  Another key to Celera's success in genomic sequencing has been the development of
  high performance supercomputing technology. Celera's computing partner is Compaq
  Computer Corporation. In completing the sequencing and assembly of the 3.12 billion
  letters of genetic code, Celera relied exclusively on networked Compaq AlphServer
  computers running Tru64 UNIX and TruCluster software to manage the more than 80
  terabytes of data and to perform what are believed to be some of the most complex
  computations in the history of supercomputing. Celera's final assembly computations
  were run on Compaq's new AlphaServer GS160 because the algorithms and data
  required 64 gigabytes of shared memory to run successfully. Celera also has an alliance
  with Oracle for complete database development and infrastructure for all planned
  Celera Genomics databases, including Drosophila (fruit fly), human, mouse, rice and
  Arabidopsis (mustard weed).

http://www6.compaq.com/inform/issues/issue25/25fe0802.html

  To complement Venter's leading-edge
  methods, Celera recently adopted a
  computing infrastructure based on Compaq
  high-performance systems, including an
  array of Compaq AlphaServers, and more
  than 200 Alpha workstation and Professional
  Workstation systems.    The systems will
  ultimately access multiple-terabyte databases
  held in Compaq StorageWorks disk arrays.

  In addition, Celera will rely on Compaq
  Services to build and maintain the system
  infrastructure. The custom services include
  network and systems integration, database
  management, and systems administration.

Regards,

David Mathog
mathog at seqaxp.bio.caltech.edu