Software Piracy - and spamming - does not pay

Andrew Dalke dalke at acm.org
Thu Aug 31 14:16:58 EST 2000

Richard P. Grant
>QUOTE:
>   It is a strict violation of the TOS for our members to send
>   objectionable material of any kind or nature using our service.

>http://www.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/dasp/hminfo_shell.asp?content=tos

Unfortunately, "of any kind" is entirely too broad of a statement.
For example, you cannot

] Publish, distribute or disseminate any inappropriate, profane,
] defamatory, infringing, obscene, indecent or unlawful material or
] information.

and companies have traditionally been stricter on the interpretation
of these statement than the courts have been.

OTOH, it specifically says the Hotmail accounts are for personal
use only and UCE is not allowed, and that's a completely different
reason for having an account terminated.

                    Andrew Dalke
                    dalke at acm.org