Softwares for RE mapping

weenie at NO_SPAM at
Mon Jul 3 11:41:54 EST 2000

>I would like to ask if there is any software for restriction
>mapping on an unknown sequence. The programs I found so far
>only map the restriction sites on a known input sequence. If I
>have a DNA fragment whose sequence is unknown and cut it with
>various enzymes, I will see bands on a piece of gel. Is there
>any program that will generate a restriction map for me
>if I input the sizes of various bands from single and double

Have you ever tried COMAP?
Here is the description from the Biocatalog:

AC             BC00201
NAME           COMAP
DOMAIN         Restriction maps
DESCRIPTION    programm for helping with the construction of
DESCRIPTION    restriction maps of small DNA fragment from digestion
DESCRIPTION    data. The program works under a graphical user
DESCRIPTION    interface, similar to the one used with the protein
AUTHOR         Hofmann K
AUTHOR         khofmann at
RT             -
ADDRESS        Universitaet Koeln , Germany
CONTACT        -
SITE           ftp anonymous
SITE           Directory /usenet/comp.archives/auto/

This is a graphical DOS-program, which allows you to mark the bands on
a scanned image of your gel and helps you with construction of the
map. Has an unusal interface and AFAIK there were no updates the last

downloadable from here, e.g., as "":

good luck

   Werner Wolz, PhD
   Institute of Human Genetics