open-source software for bioinformatics (was Re: Unix vs Linux - the movie.)

Richard P. Grant rgrant at
Fri Jul 28 02:22:49 EST 2000

In article <87aef2j23y.fsf at>, "John S. J. Anderson"
<jacobs+usenet at> wrote:

> What are the rules concerning money made from patents on knowledge
> gained by public funding? That seems to be the appropriate comparison
> here.

I'm not sure there are global 'rules'.  Apparently here at the MRC, the
MRC itself would take the lion's share, but the inventor(s) get a not
unreasonable cut, personally.  And we have a technology transfer unit
set up to deal with the patent process, so I guess that's fair.

Richard P. Grant MAD Phil
Structural Studies
MRC-LMB                         Please reply to rpg 'at'