software advise requested for off-line searches

ympiceno at ympiceno at
Fri Jun 2 13:18:38 EST 2000

A co-wroker and I are trying to decide on
software packages that wuldbest suit our needs.
Firstly, we need to be able to search large
phylogenetic databases (e.g. GenBank) off-line.
Secondly, we would like to do multilpe
alignments, build trees, and one a different
note, analyze gel patterns.  BioNumerics has a
great package that covers almost all of this, but
it is very costly.  Are there easy to learn, good
packages available that you recommend?  We use
PCs (i.e. no Macs, Unix, or Linux systems).

Many Thanks,
Yvette Piceno (ympiceno at

Sent via
Before you buy.