Linux vs Unix for doing bioinformatics

Richard P. Grant rgrant at
Mon Mar 6 03:40:19 EST 2000

In article <89o81v$97a$1 at>, bortzmeyer at
(Stephane Bortzmeyer) wrote:

> In article <rgrant-E1E6E4.10252503032000 at>,
>  "Richard P. Grant" <rgrant at> writes:
> > But anyway, I'm assuming that the arguments for/against linux on PC
> > apply to Linux on PPC too??
> Probably not:
> - hardware with PowerPC is more expensive so you lose the advantage of
> using Taiwan-made cheap PCs.

But the point is we have thousands of macs sitting around not using
anything like their full potential - I'm thinking of dual boot systems
for use in the working lab, not a computer room stuffed full of gubbins.

> And the PowerPC is 32-bits like the i386.

Eh?  The PII/III is 32 bit.

> - Linux and the applications it runs are less stable on the PowerPC. I
> am still not able to compile a kernel on my PowerMacintosh, even if I
> did it without trouble on dozens of PCs.

With respect, I would like to see n > 1 because I am sure there are
people around who run Linux on PPCs.

Richard P. Grant MA DPhil
Structural Studies Group, MRC-LMB
Please reply to rpg 'at'