Java or C++

Robert Hartley rh at
Wed May 3 11:16:41 EST 2000

In article <39102CA5.E5C033B at>, Petr Kuzmic <pkuzmic at>

> Herbert M Sauro wrote:

> > So that do the companies I've worked for use? Well they certainly use Java
> > but on the whole only for server side work, GUI applications written in Java
> > tend to be slow and cumbersome...
> I use Java to design *portable* GUIs.  The interfaces are not as fast as
> native code, but the portability surely is nice.  Imagine compiling a
> moderately complex Java GUI on a Windows machine.  You can then simply
> copy the binary byte-code to the Macintosh box, or a Linux box, or an
> OS/2 box,

Or RISC OS soon to be ported to the Psion netbook.

Bob; running a RiscPC 700 with RISC OS 3.7 and a pentium co pro with win98
in the corner of the screen (unused) :-))).

Robert Hartley,
Centre for Cell Engineering,University of Glasgow,UK.
mail: rh at, Tel: ++44 (0)141 330 4756
Web :