software (for plasmid drawing)

yoel and adaia shiboleth shibolet at
Fri Nov 3 10:24:05 EST 2000

(For PCs)
Having downloaded dozens of programs and finding that I don't use most of
them here is my private opinion:
Redasofts plasmid is very nice but it's a demo and prints "Demo" on your
figures if you don't pay (They're worth it), but there are a few free
The best, as it does a LOT of other stuff (restriction, translation, and even
both of these together on one map (!), alignment viewing, matrix plots, local
and internet Blast, and more and more...)  is BioEdit by Tom Hall, though it
is a bit difficult to find all the different functions hidden in the program.
It makes a plasmid from a sequence, but can also create one without if I'm
not mistaken, in it's newer version.
Other more specific programs are:
1) pDraw32 by Kjeld Olesen of ACACLONE, a very nice sequence based program,
does restriction maps and more. You can get info about revisions by e-mail!
2) Plasmid Proccessor from the University of Kuopio, Finland, is a very
simple graphic program of only 239k, where no sequence data is necessary. You
need to know plasmid size, and the location (more or less) of your features
(genes, restriction sites).
Good Luck and Thanx for all the good folk who do the programing for us!
Yoel Shiboleth