Anyone: NCBI BLAST2 on >1 CPU on Solaris

west999 at west999 at
Thu Nov 9 20:52:32 EST 2000

I have the latest version of blast on a 4 processor Intel machine
running Solaris 8.  The '-a 4' switch seems to be working just fine.

In article
<3D82EFC06BB9D311B0940090277C086C013CCAFC at>,
  archier at (Archie Russell) wrote:
> In article <8er2lf$um8$1%20CPU%20on%20Solaris?"1 at
> <mailto:1 at$1q6
$1 at
> =Re:%20Anyone:%20NCBI%20BLAST2%20on%20>>,
> 1%20CPU%20on%20Solaris?"mike4 at
> <mailto:mike4 at$1q6
$1 at
> e:%20Anyone:%20NCBI%20BLAST2%20on%20> writes:
> > I'm having trouble getting BLAST2 (executable: blastall) to run on
> > than one processor (i.e., when I specify the number of processors
as 4
> > with the '-a' command line option). It could have something to do
> > my local environment, although I can get other programs (e.g. Perl)
> > utilize all 4 processors. Has anyone observed BLAST-2 running on
> > than one processor in a 64-bit Solaris environment? Does anyone
> > of a trick to get BLAST2 to compile so that it can use all the
> > processors?
> i read something a long time ago that -a only went to a max of 3 (i've
> observed it using this many).  i've been looking around trying to
> this is still true, but i don't see it anywhere (except your post).
i also
> found a page mentioning the -PROC option, but i've never heard of it
> otherwise
> i'm running right now on a 6-processor machine and top is showing 86%
> utilization, this is equiv of 5 processors or so.  it might be that
you just
> need a newer version of blast
> -archie
> ---