ABI trace files

David Mathog mathog at seqaxp.bio.caltech.edu
Thu Oct 19 11:13:20 EST 2000

In article <8sl1d5$d4s$1 at news.net.uni-c.dk>, "S.W. Rasmussen" <swr at crc.dk> writes:
>Does anyone know of a simple DOS application which is able to extract the
>nucleotide sequence from ABI (310, 377, 3700) traces file without at the
>same time displaying the sequence plot? What I need is a program running
>under Windows (95/98/2000/NT) doing something like:
>   extract.exe infile=abifile1.plt outfile=abifile1.seq

Well, I don't have that, but there are some tools that can get you started
on that path, if you have a Fortran compiler and know how to program in that
language at:

here's what's in it:

            Tools and documentation for handling ABI files in a VMS
            ABIBREAKOUT.FOR    Fortran 77 program which converts an ABI trace file to
                               a text format.  Read the comments at the top before using it.
                               Fortran 77 program which prints traces through
                               the GCG graphics interface after extracting
                               them from an ABI file.  Can also use PHRED output
                               for better base calling.
                               One page of output from ABIPRINTOUT
                               DCL procedure used at Caltech to batch
                               process ABI files, run them through PHRED,
                               and produce and print trace files for the
                               end users.
            ABI.TXT            Notes derived from binary spelunking in the
                               ABI files to figure out their organization.
            DATASNIFFER.FOR    Fortran 77 program that was used to figure out the
                               structure of ABI files.  (Unlikely it
                               will work without modification on anything
                               other than a VMS machine.)
            Use BINARY FTP to transfer

David Mathog
mathog at seqaxp.bio.caltech.edu