what does FASTA stand for

Des Higgins fatherdes at eircom.net
Tue Feb 20 04:33:41 EST 2001

Bill Pearson please correct me if I am wrong but (I assume you know why it
is called fasta :-) the fast just stands for fast.  It is one of a series of
fast database similarity search programs, the first of which that I knew of
was called FASTP (where the P stood for protein) and its cousin FASTN (for
nucleotides).  These were replaced by a program which did both which was
called FASTA.

The first time I ever saw FASTP was on a 360kb floppy disk on an MS-DOS 8086
PC and it ran in a couple of minutes.  That was a stunning program.  Ahhhh,
those were the days.

Des Higgins

"Geeta Kadambi" <GeetaK at doubletwist.com> wrote in message
news:3D82EFC06BB9D311B0940090277C086C02D70D07 at exchange.panbio.com...