Position available

Mikael Persson elfmp at elmagn.chalmers.se
Tue Mar 6 07:28:29 EST 2001

Dear Colleague!
We are looking for a Ph.D. student and a post doctoral candidate for a
position at Chalmers University of Technology. Below I have included a
brief description of the project. Please feel free to forward this to
any potential candidates.
Sincerely yours
Mikael Persson

Calculations of absorbed power and induced currents in people exposed to
electromagnetic fields. Calculations of absorbed power and induced
currents in people exposed to electromagnetic fields.

Summary

 New hygienic limits for the full electromagnetic spectrum, from the low
frequency limit up to 300 GHz are being  introduced in Sweden. The
National Board of Occupational Safety and Health are adjusting the
recommendations  from the International Commission for Non-Ionising
Radiation (ICNIRP) to Swedish legislation. A draft version is expected
early 2001.

We know that certain low frequency exposure in the workplace give field
strengths in air exceeding the  recommended values. When legislation is
in place this work will no longer be allowed if one can not show that
the induced currents in the human body are below the legal limits. In
the present project description we propose a  study on how the measured
field strength in the air is related to induced currents in the body so
that work in these situations need only to be interrupted when so
demanded for health reasons. There is limited expertise in Sweden in
this area of research as it involves computational as well as
bio-electromagnetic expertise. For the present proposal we have
therefore set up a collaboration involving three different research
groups. Mikael Persson is at the Electromagnetic Bio and plasma physics
group at the Department of electromagnetics, Chalmers, Yngve Hamnerius
is  at the Biological effects of electromagnetic fields group in the
same department and Kjell Hansson Mild is at the National Institute for
Working Life, Umeå.

A separate part of the present proposal is concerned with radio
frequency fields. For these frequencies the limits are expressed in the
Specific Absorption Rate (SAR) in such a way that the radiation shall
not lead to heating.  There is now common knowledge in the field that
detailed computations are often needed to determine weather the existing
limits are exceeding in a given situation. Furthermore, the existing
limits do not take into account the details of the middle-, inner ear,
nerve paths and the brain. In this part of the project we proposed
detailed simulations using FDTD calculations of the human head followed
by detailed simulations using Chalmers 3-D VR cube.